
Escape to Paradise: Plaza Real Luxury Suites in San Jose!
Escape to Paradise: Plaza Real Luxury Suites - San Jose! (A Review That's Kinda All Over the Place, But Honest)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I’m about to spill the beans, the whole enchilada, the entire plate of gallo pinto (that amazing Costa Rican rice and beans dish, you guys, you HAVE to try it!) on the Plaza Real Luxury Suites in San Jose. This isn’t your average, perfectly polished hotel review. This is real - the good, the slightly-less-good, and the “OMG, I need another coffee” moments.
First things first: Accessibility. (Because, you know, it matters!)
Honestly, I’m not a wheelchair user, but I poked around, and Escape to Paradise seems to have its act together. Wheelchair accessible areas are in place, and they have facilities for disabled guests. The elevators are a godsend, especially if you're lugging around souvenirs or, like me, just feeling lazy after too much gallo pinto. I didn't get to try the elevator, I took stairs.
Rooms: My Personal Oasis (Mostly)
Alright, so, the rooms. They're called "Luxury Suites," and I’m not going to lie, they definitely feel…luxurious. The air conditioning blasts you into blissful coolness after a hot day exploring. Blackout curtains are your best friend, let me tell you. I slept like a log! The extra long bed? YES, please! Finally, a hotel bed that doesn't feel like it's trying to make me a contortionist. They have slippers, which is an amazing small added detail. Daily housekeeping is a godsend.
I can’t vouch for every room, but mine had a pretty sweet view (I think it was a view, hard to tell after a couple of cocktails from the mini bar – which, by the way, is well-stocked!). They certainly have the complimentary bottled water which is important because tap water is a no-go in Costa Rica! I also loved the desk because I like to work, and In-room safe box is a must-have. They also have Wi-Fi [free], and Internet access – wireless, which is a huge help!
Okay, confession time. The bathroom…was…interesting. The separate shower/bathtub situation was nice, but the bathrobes…well, let's just say they were a bit…thin. And the lighting in the bathroom? Let’s just say my morning face got a shocking reality check. But hey, hair dryer worked, so I can't complain.
Cleanliness & Safety: Feeling Safe (Almost Always)
Look, let’s be real. 2024 is a weird time. Safety is a HUGE deal. And Escape to Paradise seems really on top of it. From the anti-viral cleaning products (nice touch!) to the rooms sanitized between stays (phew!), they're taking it seriously. Hand sanitizer is everywhere.
I noticed the CCTV in common areas and outside the property, which gave me that extra layer of security. They have fire extinguisher, front desk [24-hour], security [24-hour], and smoke alarms. The staff were all wearing masks, and there was evidence of physical distancing of at least 1 meter. Also, the daily disinfection in common areas gave me some piece of mind. The cashless payment service was a nice touch. They've clearly put effort into a system that makes guests feel safe. They also have a first aid kit and doctor/nurse on call
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling the Adventure (and Maybe a Little Too Much)
This is where things got…deliciously complicated. Okay, the breakfast buffet… was pretty amazing. I mean, buffet in restaurant, it's a classic! Western breakfast with eggs, bacon, and all the usual suspects. But also, the Asian breakfast… was a revelation! The coffee/tea in restaurant was plentiful.
I’m a sucker for a good poolside bar. The pool with view was stunning so I indulged in a few too many cocktails at happy hour, which, by the way, was a steal! There's a snack bar which is a lifesaver. I'm also a huge fan of desserts in restaurant which I had a ton of!
They have a restaurant with a la carte, Asian cuisine in restaurant, and International cuisine in restaurant. I didn't get a chance to try them all. Room service is available 24/7, which came in clutch one night when I was absolutely starving.
Side note: I tried the coffee shop, and it was good, but honestly, I preferred the coffee in the restaurant.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Finding Your Zen (Or Just Passing Out By the Pool)
So: Spa! Yes, please! (Even if I’m not always the best at feeling zen…) I treated myself to a massage. Incredible. Pure bliss. The masseuse was amazing. I literally melted into the table. Total. Relaxation.
Also they have a Fitness center, a sauna, a steamroom, and a spa/sauna which is a good point to know. The swimming pool and swimming pool [outdoor], the pool with view is a must for people like me.
I didn’t try the Body scrub or the Body wrap, but after those cocktails, I probably should have!
Services and Conveniences: Making Life Easier (and More Fun)
Listen, a hotel that gets the little things right makes a huge difference. Daily housekeeping? Essential. Concierge? Super helpful. Laundry service? Saved my life. Currency exchange? A lifesaver! Cash withdrawal? I didn't have to look for an ATM.
They have luggage storage. Air conditioning in public area. Car park [free of charge] & Car park [on-site].
For the Kids (I Don't Have Them, But I Noticed)
They have some stuff for kids (Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal)
Getting Around: Navigating San Jose
They offer an airport transfer (highly recommend!), taxi service and valet parking. I didn't rent a car.
Internet & Technology: Staying Connected (Mostly)
The Wi-Fi [free] was generally reliable. I did occasionally get a dropped connection, but overall, it was good. Internet access – wireless, is fast and simple.
Now for the Rambling, Unfiltered Thoughts…
Okay, so, the Plaza Real Luxury Suites. Would I go back? Absolutely. Would I recommend it? Yes, with a few caveats.
It's not perfect. No hotel (or human, for that matter) is. The bathrooms could use a bit of sprucing up. The restaurant coffee could be better. But overall, the pros far outweigh the cons.
Here's the kicker: The staff were amazing. Seriously. Everyone from the front desk to the housekeeping staff was friendly, helpful, and genuinely seemed to care. That, more than anything, is what made the experience special.
My biggest takeaway? This isn’t just a place to sleep. It’s a place to experience San Jose. It's a basecamp for your adventure.
So, should you book it?
ABSOLUTELY. Seriously. Book it now. You won't regret it.
Here’s my offer:
Escape to Paradise: Your Costa Rican Dream Awaits!
Book your stay at the Plaza Real Luxury Suites in San Jose NOW and receive:
- 20% off your room rate! (Because who doesn't love a bargain?)
- Complimentary breakfast for two! (Fuel up for adventure!)
- A free welcome cocktail at the poolside bar! (Because you deserve it!)
- Free cancellation up to 7 days before arrival! (Peace of mind!)
Use code "ESCAPESTYLE2024" when booking to claim your offer!
This is your chance to experience the magic of Costa Rica with a touch of luxury. Don’t miss out! Book your escape to paradise today! (Seriously, what are you waiting for?)
Paris Airport Escape: Luxury & Comfort at Holiday Inn Express CDG
Alright, buckle up, buttercups! This isn't your grandma's itinerary. We're diving headfirst into the glorious, chaotic mess that is travel. Specifically, Costa Rica, starting at Hotel Plaza Real Apartments & Suites in San Jose. Consider this less a schedule and more a… well, a vibe.
Day 1: Arrival, Jet Lag, and Questionable Decisions
Morning (or what passes for morning at 5 AM after a flight): Land in San Jose. Whew, made it! The air… it's humid. Like, someone left a wet towel in a closet humid. Immigration? A blur of smiles and stamps. Got my passport back and it felt like winning a tiny lottery.
The Hotel Plaza Real Apartments & Suites: Found the taxi (thank God for Google Translate). The hotel? Not exactly Four Seasons, but hey, the AC works, and the bed doesn't look like it’s seen a war. First impression: comfy enough. This is where the real adventure begins…
Mid-morning/Afternoon - The Post-Flight Fog: Okay, so I'm pretty sure I passed out for like, three hours. Jet lag is a bitch. I woke up cranky, thirsty, and craving something… tangy. The pool looked inviting, so I ventured out. It took an eternity to find the pool (seriously, Hotel Plaza Real, why are your signs so tiny??), but I eventually got there.
Lunch: Found a little soda shop near the hotel. Soda is what they call the little local restaurants here. My first ever casado (rice, beans, plantain, meat – the CR staple). And let me tell you, the gallo pinto (rice and beans, the CR staple) was… well, it was beans and rice. Not bad, but maybe didn't cure my jet lag. Still, it was dirt cheap and everyone was friendly.
Afternoon - Exploring the Neighborhood & Regrets: Feeling emboldened (read: slightly less zombie-fied), I decided to walk around the neighborhood. Big mistake. San Jose traffic is a beast. Like, aggressive, honking, near-miss-every-minute kind of beast. I probably should have opted for a taxi, but now my pride is bruised! I walked around. The only interesting thing was the colorful street art that I could enjoy.
Evening - Dinner and Realization: Dinner was a disaster. Found a restaurant, ordered something (I think it was chicken), and it turned out to be… chicken. Nothing special. The waiter was super friendly, though. Realizing I packed way too many "emergency" snacks and will regret everything.
Day 2: Coffee, Culture, and the Joy of Doing Absolutely Nothing
- Morning - Coffee Bliss (Finally!): Coffee. Costa Rican coffee. OH. MY. GOD. Seriously, it's divine. Went to a tiny little cafe near the hotel. It was the first time I actually started to see the appeal of this country.
- Mid-Morning - Museum Hunt! There's some museums the Lonely Planet told me about. First stop: the Museo Nacional de Costa Rica (National Museum). Went there with the vague thought of "History, right? Good to know!" Turned out to be fascinating! The butterfly garden was a little slice of paradise in the city. I probably spent way too long taking pictures of butterflies, but hey, who’s judging?
- Afternoon - The Art of Doing Nothing (And Loving It): After my museum adventure, I was burnt out. Tired of doing, seeing, thinking… Went back to the hotel. The pool was calling. Spent the rest of the afternoon reading a book, sipping a ginger ale, and just… existing. Absolute bliss.
- Evening - A Culinary Experiment (That Sort of Worked): I felt adventurous and decided to try cooking something in the hotel kitchenette. Let's just say the "avocado and tuna salad" turned into a slightly sad, beige disaster. Still, I was proud of myself for attempting it, and the wine I poured myself made everything better.
Day 3: Volcanoes, Volcanic Rock, and Existential Dread (Kidding… mostly)
- Morning - Volcano Vibes: Took a day trip to Poás Volcano National Park. The drive was gorgeous, winding its way through lush, green hills. The volcano itself? Incredible. The crater was massive, and the sulfuric fumes… well, they cleared my sinuses! (Kidding. They kinda made me want to run away… in a good way!)
- Afternoon - Lunch and More Travel Regrets: Ate lunch at the park, at a soda. The food was good, but I really craved a proper burger. I think I regret not packing those beef sticks!
- Late Afternoon - Back to San Jose. A Bit Exhausted: Washed away the volcanic dust, took a quick nap, and caught a glimpse of my travel journal. I had to remember every detail. The writing felt rushed, the emotions still raw.
- Evening - A Small Gesture of Kindness: Back in San Jose, I went to have one last meal at the first soda I went to. The waiter was really nice. We laughed, even if I’m not good at Spanish. This is what I came for, those little moments.
Day 4: The Depart, and Unresolved Feelings
- Morning - Packing, Repacking, and a Final Glimpse: Spent the morning packing. Realized I'd bought way too many souvenirs (who needs six fridge magnets?!). Gave some to my neighbor.
- Mid-day - One Last Coffee and Goodbye Hugs: One last coffee. Sat and stared. Just soaking it all in.
- Afternoon - The Airport, the Plane, and the Aftermath: The taxi ride to the airport was a blur. The airport itself was chaotic. And then, the plane. As it goes, I feel like this trip made me a better person.
Final Thoughts (Or Ramblings After A Week):
This trip wasn't perfect. I got lost, got annoyed, ate some truly questionable food. But it was real. It was messy. It was me. And I wouldn't trade it for anything. Costa Rica? You're a beautiful disaster, and I can't wait to come back. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need a nap. And maybe another coffee. And a burger.
Milan's BEST B&B? Central Station Luxury on a Budget!
Alright, spill the beans. Is "Escape to Paradise" *actually* paradise? Because, let's be real, "luxury" and "San Jose" don't always exactly go hand-in-hand, do they?
Okay, straight up? NO. Not pure, unadulterated, floating-on-a-cloud paradise. But... and this is a big but... it's a very pleasant escape. It’s way better than I anticipated, and honestly, that says a lot. The pictures? Yeah, they're pretty accurate, which is a win in the travel world. But paradise? Nah. More like "decently luxurious, surprisingly calm refuge from San Jose" – which, in that city, is pretty damn close.
My first impression? I'd just battled the San Jose airport (and survived, thankfully), and I was a sweaty, cranky mess. Walking into the Plaza Real lobby was like… a cooling balm. Seriously. The air conditioning was a lifesaver, and the lobby itself is pretty sleek. Clean lines, some (maybe slightly generic) art, and the smell of, I think, expensive air freshener. I instantly felt… better. Not paradise-level, but definitely a "whew, I'm safe" kind of feeling.
Let's talk about the suites. "Luxury Suites"… sounds expensive. Is it worth the splurge? Because my bank account is already weeping softly.
Okay, the suites *are* definitely a treat. Worth the splurge? Depends. Are you traveling on a shoestring and content with a hostel? Then, nope. Absolutely not. Run away. This is not for you.
But if you've got a little wiggle room in your budget and you appreciate a decent bed, a spacious bathroom, and some actual *space* to breathe? Then yeah, it's worth considering. I booked a suite for, let’s say, slightly more than what I usually pay. The room itself was huge! Like, ridiculously huge. I could have tap-danced in the living room. Which I almost did, after I’d had a few complimentary cocktails (more on that later!). The bed was… ah, the bed. It was a cloud. A glorious cloud. I'm not even kidding; I slept like a baby. Until the street noise woke me up, which let's be honest, is San Jose for you.
The bathroom? Marble. Actual marble. Plus, a shower head that could probably power a small city. And they give you quality toiletries! This sounds silly, but it's the little things, right? Like not having to use those tiny, nasty hotel shampoos that leave your hair feeling like straw. I used the bathroom as my personal zen space to get ready every day, which was just blissful. My only complaint? The hairdryer could have been better, it felt like it was starting to die half the time!
I hear there's a pool. Spill the tea. Is it Instagram-worthy? Because, you know… priorities.
The pool… okay, so the pool is a bit of a mixed bag. Is it Instagram-worthy? Kinda. It's not the infinity pool overlooking a tropical jungle you see in the overly photoshopped ads. It's a perfectly pleasant, rectangular pool, surrounded by… well, concrete. But clean concrete. And there are loungers and umbrellas and towels, so that's all good. During my stay, it had a few leaves and bits of debris floating in it, which I ignored because I’m not that picky.
The vibe? Relaxed. A few business travelers sipping coffee, some families splashing around. No screaming kids, which is a definite win. The real magic of the pool, at least for me, was the escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. It's quiet enough to take a book and actually read, which is a rarity when you're traveling! I spent a few hours one afternoon, just bobbing around in the water and completely zoning out. It was glorious. Except for that one time when I almost stepped on a rogue insect. Let’s just say I yelped. Loudly. I’m not proud.
Okay, you mentioned free cocktails. What's the deal with the food and drink situation? Are we talking sad room service or actual decent eats?
Alright, the food and drink. This is where things get a little… uneven. The "free" cocktails, mentioned earlier, are part of the welcome drink thing at check in. Excellent. Free is always good. The bar wasn't anything to write home about. It was a standard hotel bar, but again, a very welcome space to chill. During happy hour, they offered a few snacks. They were decent bar snacks, which I appreciated.
The restaurant is a different story. Breakfast was decent, and I highly recommend it. The buffet was well-stocked every morning, it was a perfect start to the day. They had the standard American breakfast fare, but also some local options. I went for the gallo pinto, every single day! The waiters were generally polite, but they did seem a little… slow. I’m guessing they’re used to a slower pace of life than I was.
Dinner? I only ate dinner there once. It was… okay. Again, not amazing, but not terrible. My steak was cooked well, but the sides were a little bland. Overall I'd say stick to breakfast at the hotel, and find a great restaurant outside for dinner. There are some AMAZING options in San Jose, so don't limit yourself!
What about the location? Is it safe? Because San Jose's reputation isn't exactly… pristine.
The location… okay, the location is a bit of a trade-off. It's right in the heart of the city, which means you’re close to everything. Museums, restaurants, shops… they’re all within walking distance (or a short taxi ride). That is a huge plus.
However, and this is a big however: San Jose isn’t exactly known for its safety. I walked around during the day with no problem, but at night, I’d definitely recommend sticking to taxis or Uber. The hotel has security, which is reassuring. Outside the hotel, I was definitely aware of my surroundings. I was careful to hold onto my bag. I avoided wearing flashy jewelry. I'm not saying you'll be robbed if you walk down a dark alley, but… why risk it? Just… be smart. Don’t go wandering about at night. It's not worth it.
One slightly unnerving incident happened on my first night. I was eating on the hotel patio. I was alone. Suddenly, a man started yelling. He was across the street, and shouting at *me*. I’m pretty sure he was drunk. It was incredibly uncomfortable. I ended up moving inside. Again, I'm not saying anything bad would have happened if I'd stayed out there, but the whole experience reinforced my commitment to staying safe and avoiding unnecessary risks. That said, I felt safer inside the hotel. The city is generally ok, but you just need to use common sense.
Okay, the nitty-gritty.Budget Travel Destination

