Gangtok's Hidden Gem: The Nettle & Fern Hotel - Unforgettable Stay!

The Nettle and Fern Hotel Gangtok India

The Nettle and Fern Hotel Gangtok India

Gangtok's Hidden Gem: The Nettle & Fern Hotel - Unforgettable Stay!

Gangtok's Nettle & Fern: My Mind-Blowing Escape (and Why You Need One Too!)

Okay, listen up, because I'm about to tell you about a find – a freaking gem of a hotel – in Gangtok. Forget those generic, cookie-cutter stays. We're talking The Nettle & Fern. Seriously, this place isn't just a hotel; it's an experience. And trust me, I'm still basking in the afterglow.

First off, let's be real: getting to Gangtok is an adventure in itself. So, the accessibility of the Nettle & Fern is, thankfully, sorted. From what I could tell, it’s a great place to get into easily. I mean, they even had an elevator. And the staff? Super eager to assist with anything. They made the check-in, which was contactless, ridiculously smooth. No fumbling for pens and forms, just pure bliss. They were super helpful towards getting in and out. Also, they have facilities for disabled guests. Now that’s thoughtful!

Finding My Bliss (and Maybe Yours Too)

The rooms? Oh, the rooms! Mine had an air conditioner, thank god, considering the altitude. More importantly, it had a ridiculously comfy bed with blackout curtains. I'm talking sleep-till-noon level comfy. The free Wi-Fi was a lifesaver, and it reached everywhere, because you know, can't live without it. Plus, the internet [LAN] was an option too. I mean, internet access is, of course, everywhere, but I think the LAN is for people who want better performance. Also, the had a mini bar. I mean, essentials are important.

But it wasn't just the room itself. It was the details. The robes, the slippers, the complimentary tea & coffee maker - it was like they anticipated my every need before I even realized I had them. And, the bathroom phone was super helpful. I mean, you never know when you're going to need to make a quick call.

Pure Relaxation: Spa Days and Poolside Dreams

Now, about the spa. Oh, the spa! I went for a body scrub. I wanted to feel the grit of urban life wash away. The spa staff were amazing. Seriously, they knew their stuff. And they were just genuinely lovely people. No hard sell, no creepy vibes, just pure, unadulterated pampering. They also had a sauna, steamroom, a pool with a view, and a foot bath. It was the kind of day where you forget what time it is, and that's exactly what I needed.

And the outdoor swimming pool? Picture this: crystal-clear water, the Himalayas looming in the distance, and a cocktail in hand. The poolside bar was calling my name, and I did answer. It's the kind of picture postcard perfection that makes you want to pinch yourself. They also had a fitness center, if you're into that sort of thing. (I mostly stuck to the pool).

Food, Glorious Food! (And They Take Cashless Payments!)

Let's talk about food. I'm a sucker for a good breakfast, and the Nettle & Fern delivered. The Asian breakfast was fantastic, and the Western Breakfast was top-notch. I even discovered a new favorite: momos! I may, or may not, have had them every day. The Asian cuisine in the restaurant? Phenomenal. Don't miss it. They had a vegetarian restaurant and the vegetarian options were diverse, so you will get your own preferences. The restaurants catered to everyone! Did I mention the coffee/tea in the restaurant? Essential!

And the fact that they offered cashless payments made everything so easy, which I definitely appreciated. Plus, they had an a la carte menu. The room service [24-hour] was a lifesaver. A breakfast in room for a lazy morning? Yes, please! The bottle of water was always a welcome sight, and they even had a snack bar and desserts to satisfy my cravings. Also, the buffet in restaurant was a great option.

Safety First (and They Actually Care!)

I was genuinely impressed with the cleanliness and safety protocols. They had anti-viral cleaning products in use, and seemed to disinfect in common areas constantly. Rooms sanitized between stays? Check. Hand sanitizers everywhere? Check. They are definitely prioritizing it with hygiene certification, and the staff trained in safety protocol. They even offered room sanitization opt-out available. It’s reassuring when you can see they are seriously taking everyone’s safety. I just loved this!

Beyond the Basics: The Little Extras That Made the Difference

This hotel is built to make you feel secure with the security features and the security [24-hour]. They had things like a safe deposit box, safe dining setup, fire extinguishers, and a smoke detectors/alarms. The staff were always helpful, ready, and well-trained. Everything was available and I love it all. Amazing!

I also loved the terrace. Amazing views! Truly perfect.

The Nitty Gritty: Services and Conveniences

Okay, so they had all the usual suspects: daily housekeeping, laundry service, dry cleaning, a luggage storage, a concierge. They also had a convenience store. Everything!

Getting Around (or Not!):

Airport transfer, taxi service, and car park [free of charge]… They have thought of everything!

And For The Kids…

I didn't have kids with me, but I noticed they had some kids facilities or babysitting service. So, the whole family is welcome!

Why You NEED to Book This Hotel RIGHT NOW!

Look, I could keep going on about the Nettle & Fern. But the bottom line is this: it's the perfect escape. It's comfortable, luxurious, and genuinely cares about making your stay special. The staff is warm, welcoming, and genuinely happy to help.

So, here's the deal:

Stop Dreaming, Start Booking!

The Nettle & Fern - Gangtok's Hidden Gem.

Offer: Book your stay at The Nettle & Fern now and get a complimentary [Choose one: Spa treatment, bottle of wine, or private balcony breakfast]. But hurry, this offer is only valid for the next 2 weeks! Don't just take my word for it. Experience the magic yourself!

Red Deer's BEST Hotel? Holiday Inn & Suites Review! (Shocking!)

Book Now

The Nettle and Fern Hotel Gangtok India

The Nettle and Fern Hotel Gangtok India

The Nettle & Fern, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Yak Butter Tea (Mostly)

Okay, so here's the deal. This isn't your meticulously crafted travel itinerary. This is my Nettle & Fern diary, a living, breathing testament to the glorious chaos that is Gangtok, and a hotel that, frankly, could use a bit of a makeover but has heart. Buckle up, buttercups, because it's gonna be a wild ride. (And yes, I’m still adjusting to the altitude. My brain feels like a fizzy soda sometimes.)

Day 1: Arrival, Altitude Woes, and the Mystery of the Missing Key

  • Morning (or what passes for it): Landed in Bagdogra. That airport? Tiny. Humid. Already questioning my life choices. The jeep ride to Gangtok…well, let’s just say the Himalayas are breathtaking in the purest sense of the word. I spent half the time gasping for air and the other half trying to avoid looking over the precipice (which, let's be honest, was a losing battle).
  • Late Afternoon: Arrival at Nettle & Fern. The lobby? Charming, in a slightly faded, "grandma's sitting room" kind of way. The check-in? Involved. Apparently, the key situation is "rustic." I gave the desk clerk, a lovely young woman named Karma (everyone in Sikkim is named Karma, apparently – good vibes only!), my passport, my soul, and waited. And waited. Finally, key in hand, I ventured up to…well, it was supposed to be room 307. It was a room. With a view of…a wall. At least it had a bed that wasn't actively trying to kill me (a win!).
  • The Incident of the Tea…and the Near-Collapse: Decided to be a model tourist and try the yak butter tea. Oh, the regrets. The smell. It’s…pungent. My stomach revolted. I ran. I may, possibly, have almost fainted in the hallway (altitude, remember?). Moral of the story: start slow with the fermented beverages. And maybe carry a sick bag.
  • Evening: Ordered room service (yay, instant noodles!). Watched the mist roll in over the town. Contemplated the meaning of life. Realized I’d left my phone charger in the jeep. Swore a bit. Went to bed.

Day 2: The Search for Momos (and Inner Peace, Maybe)

  • Morning: Woke up with a pounding headache. Blamed the altitude, the tea, and the fact that my room felt like a walk-in freezer. Dragged myself to the breakfast buffet. The eggs? Questionable. The coffee? Strong. I swear, it’s instant coffee, but it's somehow…delicious.

  • Mid-Morning: Momos! The singular focus of my day shifted to finding the perfect momo. Walked around MG Marg, the main street. A bustling, vibrant, chaotic mess of shops, prayer flags, and what I now realize is the distinct aroma of incense and…something else. Found a tiny shop tucked down a side street. The momos? Divine. Juicy, flavorful, a little spicy. Worth the near-heart attack I had trying to navigate the traffic.

  • Afternoon: The Monastery Mystery. Visited the Enchey Monastery. Stunning. Peacefulness radiating from every corner. I even attempted to meditate. (Spoiler alert: lasted about five minutes. My brain just wouldn't shut up. Kept thinking about momos.)

  • Late Afternoon: The Great Key Conspiracy (or, Seriously, Where's My Key?) Back at the hotel. My key wasn't working! AGAIN. Confronted Karma. She smiled, offered me tea, and sent a very serious-looking man with a very large wrench to “fix” the lock. Eventually, I had access. Suspected it was a conspiracy to force me to interact with the wonderful staff.

  • Evening: Dinner and Reflections. Found a rooftop restaurant. Ordered a local beer (it's actually pretty good!). Watched the sun set over the mountains. Gangtok is…beautiful. Even with the missing key, the dodgy plumbing, and the near-constant threat of altitude sickness, it's pretty damn special.

Day 3: Tsomgo Lake and the Yak Who Stole My Heart (and My Selfie)

  • Morning: Decided to brave the Tsomgo Lake excursion. The road there? Buckle up, again. It's a bumpy, winding, edge-of-the-world kind of drive. And it was snowing. I mean, proper snowing.
  • Mid-Morning: Tsomgo Lake. The lake itself? breathtaking. Turquoise, pristine, and surrounded by snow-capped mountains. It was…awe-inspiring. I was truly humbled.
  • The Yak Encounter! Then came the yak. Majestic, furry, and apparently, very photogenic. I, foolishly, went to get a selfie. Well, the yak apparently thought I was offering a tasty snack of my hair! He leaned in and started chomping on it! It was chaos, a laughing stock amongst the tourists. I screamed, the yak looked delighted, and everyone around erupted in laughter. I ended up with yak kisses, half my hair eaten, and the best travel story ever!
  • Afternoon/Evening: Exhaustion, and the Return of the Noodles! Back to the hotel. Exhausted but exhilarated. Took a long, hot shower (the hot water always seems to run out right when you need it). Ate more instant noodles. Slept like a log.

Day 4: Farewell, Nettle & Fern (and, Okay, Maybe I'll Miss You)

  • Morning: Packing. Saying goodbye to the view (even if it was of the wall). Saying goodbye to Karma, who, by now, feels like family.
  • Departure: The jeep ride back to the airport. The Himalayas. The memory of the yak.
  • The Final Thoughts: Okay, the Nettle & Fern isn’t perfect. It's a bit creaky, a bit rough around the edges, and the key situation is a constant source of amusement and anxiety. But it's real. It’s got a soul. The staff are genuinely lovely, the location is perfect, and the memories I made there…well, they’re priceless. Would I go back? Absolutely. Just… maybe I'll pack extra keys. And a hair tie. And definitely some antacids.

Gangtok, you magnificent, messy, unforgettable place. Until next time!

Unbelievable Vienna Hotel Deal in Tongliao, Inner Mongolia!

Book Now

The Nettle and Fern Hotel Gangtok India

The Nettle and Fern Hotel Gangtok India

The Nettle & Fern Hotel: You Think You Know Gangtok? Think Again...

Okay, spill. Is this Nettle & Fern place *really* as charming as it looks in the photos? I mean, Instagram lies, right?

Alright, real talk. Let's just say the Nettle & Fern? It’s… complicated. *Charming* is the word they slap on everything, isn't it? And yeah, the photos are gorgeous – that lush green, those quirky balconies, everything bathed in this almost ethereal light. And some days, *most* days actually? It *is* charming. It oozes this weird, almost bohemian vibe. Like, you expect a poet with a perpetually smudged forehead to emerge from the shadows at any moment. But the *truth*? Well, sometimes the charm wears a little thin. That "rustic" wood can feel a bit… creaky at 3 AM when the wind howls. And that "amazing view" from the balcony? Yeah, it *is* amazing. Until the fog rolls in and you're staring into a swirling, misty abyss. But more often than not it's just breath taking!

What's the deal with the food? 'Cause I'm a foodie, and subpar meals are a dealbreaker.

Foodie, huh? Oh, you're in for a rollercoaster. The food at Nettle & Fern… bless their hearts, they try. And sometimes, they *succeed*. The momos are legendary. I'm not even kidding. I'd fly back just for their momos. Seriously. The chili chicken? A revelation. But then there are the days when you're pretty sure the chef's having an off-day. Like, remember that time I ordered the pasta? It arrived looking like it had survived a zombie apocalypse. Undercooked, and the sauce tasted suspiciously like… regret. Let's just say I stuck to the momos after that. And the breakfast? Let's just say it's... variable. Don't be afraid to ask for extra chili flakes. You'll need the kick!

The "Hidden Gem" thing. Is it actually *hidden?* Will I spend half my time lost?

'Hidden Gem' is a bit of an understatement. Think of it as a treasure hunt, except the treasure is a slightly wonky hotel room. Finding the Nettle & Fern is a *journey*, my friend. It's not *impossible*, but it's definitely an adventure. You’ll probably need to phone for help. Which, by the by, might mean talking to someone who sounds like they're halfway up the mountain themselves. First, you navigate the chaotic streets of Gangtok, then you'll probably need to take a taxi down some narrow, winding roads that look like they're leading to nowhere. At one point, I was convinced the driver was just making stuff up. "Almost there, sir!" he kept chirping, as we careened around hairpin turns, inches from a sheer drop. Eventually, you'll see it. It's a relief, I promise. But maybe pack some Dramamine. Just in case.

What are the rooms like? Clean? Cozy? Cramped? Tell me the truth!

Okay, the rooms. Let's break this down. "Cozy" is certainly the word. You, me, and the ghosts of other guests who've stayed there before. I swear, I was in one room and I felt like I was sleeping in grandmas attic! Some rooms *are* bigger than others, and the views… well, they vary. The best rooms? The ones with the balconies overlooking the valley. The other ones are probably smaller and view of a wall! Cleanliness? It was generally fine, I swear! But I will say. There was one time, and I won't go into too much detail, but there were a few unexpected guests hanging around in the corner. But I mean, you're in the mountains. Things are going to be a bit dusty.. And sometimes, the hot water is a bit "iffy." You'll have to get used to it. But the blankets, oh god the blankets are so comfortable! Like a warm, fluffy hug.

Is there Wi-Fi? Because, you know, the world doesn't stop spinning.

Wi-Fi? Hahaha! Bless your heart if you're expecting reliable Wi-Fi in the mountains. The Nettle & Fern's Wi-Fi is… well, it's there. Mostly it's not working, and when it is, it's slower than a snail in molasses. Expect to spend most of your time staring at a spinning wheel. And when it *does* connect, it's like Christmas! So savor every minute you can before it fails. It is very, very unreliable. But honestly? It's kind of *fantastic*. It forces you to disconnect, look up at the mountains, and... *gasp*... talk to other real people. I ended up having some amazing convos.

Any tips for getting the most out of my stay? Secrets? Hidden advantages?

Okay, here’s the inside scoop. First, ask for a room with a balcony. The views are worth fighting for. Second, pack your own snacks. Trust me, the midnight munchies WILL hit you. Third, befriend the staff. They're the real gems. They're helpful, friendly, and usually know the best (and least touristy) spots in Gangtok. Next if you can, bring some extra phone chargers. If your room has a view, then make sure you get up to watch the sun rise! And most importantly? Go with the flow. Don’t expect perfection. Embrace the chaos, the creaky floors, the temperamental Wi-Fi, and the moments of pure, unadulterated magic. Because, despite its quirks... Nettle & Fern? It's an experience. And frankly, when else are you going to feel like a mountain-dwelling explorer? Oh, and a really good tip… if you want a good photo, go to the balcony and take some pictures!

Final Verdict? Would you recommend it?

Look, I'll be brutally honest. The Nettle & Fern isn't a perfect hotel. Far from it. But… would I recommend it? ABSOLUTELY. Because it’s a *memory*. You’re not just getting a bed and a roof, you’re stepping into a story. You will have moments of frustration. You might curse the Wi-Fi. You might find yourself craving a decent coffee. But you'll also have moments of breathtaking beauty, of unexpected kindness, of pure, unadulterated joy. You'll eat some of the best momos of your life. The staff is great! And you’ll leave with a story. And, yeah, despite everything, I'd go back in a heartbeat. Just bring extra chili flakes. And maybe a good book. And a spare phone charger. And maybe a small air freshener. But those momos, man… those momos.

Ocean View Inn

The Nettle and Fern Hotel Gangtok India

The Nettle and Fern Hotel Gangtok India

The Nettle and Fern Hotel Gangtok India

The Nettle and Fern Hotel Gangtok India